Wednesday, September 9, 2009
wip wednesday...a true "work in progress"
So this week's "work-in-progress" is not a craft project. It is about finding our "after-school" rhythm. I used last week to feel out how we were feeling physically and emotionally upon return to our home from a long "school" day. We get home around 3 pm, which gives us about 2 hours before I have to start to prepare dinner. In that time, I need to change my clothes, serve a snack, usually do a chore or 2, and be present with my children. We need to do this while we all unwind from our day. Benji is usually quite demanding at this time...he wants me to hold him and nurse him a lot. I am trying desperately to avoid filling this time with pbs television. Help! Anyone have a nice afternoon/early evening schedule that works for them? I've tried art...but they are tired too, and did a lot of art at school. I tried puzzles and lacing cards yesterday, which was fine for Mia...but Benji was not interested. I guess I need a little direction...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Love.... I have no children...Just the Otis-man...but my thought was, is it a good time to go for a walk? Or listen to books on tape while doing other stuff, so there can be snuggle time and nurse time and chore time all mixed in? Ha! That's probably not helpful at all! But I love you and your munchkins to pieces!! So hugs!
That is a tricky in between time of day, we enjoy going for a nature walk to collect things for our nature table. It seems to get us moving, let us stretch our muscles and with baskets in hand there is something to do. I find that when we get home the kids are ready to relax and hang out. Sometimes they will look at books and sometimes all of one will make art with the nature finds. I find that relaxing music helps to wind us down before dinner and we really find modeling with beeswax meditative. I will sit with the kids and make up a story and we model little things that come up in the story. i.e. a beautiful swan laid golden eggs and then we get to work modeling golden eggs. Or even just to sit and model with the beeswax with a story on tape. Recently my older kids have enjoyed setting the table and helping with our meal... there is never a 'right' answer of course as all families and children are so different. Many Blessings to you as you find a rhythm that works for you mama!
I was also going to suggest maybe they could help prepare dinner somehow? Maybe a special project related to that?
If not, you could always go to the library :)
Love, Alexis
Thanks ladies! I know we'll get there...we are all adjusting! Me too! Yesterday afternoon I was just plain old drop down tired! I think I need to work coffee into the routine!
Kim
Try running around fighting with each other, that's what we do! Eli has recently gotten into a shape/puzzle/color game where all the pieces are wooden trapezoids. It is quiet and thoughtful and there's no way to get it wrong. One tiny idea. We've been exhausted too!
Post a Comment