Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How does your garden grow?

We have a small plot of land...very small, but we are working it! My outside home has become quite an extension of my inside home. I have, in the 5 summers we've lived here, planted an herb garden, expanded and planted a tiered garden, rose bushes, perrenials, a "tasha garden" and a shade garden. I love my flowers and am always dreaming up new additions. I love my herbs and use them in my cooking all spring, summer and fall. I recently added an asparagus bed; in a few years we'll reap the rewards.

I've always wanted a small vegetable garden, a potager (kitchen garden.) On a small plot, with one giant tree, there was only a little spot it could go to ensure at least 7 hours of direct sunlight. The problem was, that spot was a huge lawn & garden refuge pile. The pile was there 5 years ago when we bought the house, and we added to it. It was a monster--think Fraggle Rock. Tom ploughed through it, bagged and brought to the dump 27 bags of grass, leaves, pine needles and clippings! He then rotatilled the area flat. Together we plotted out the beds. While he built the boxes, I stratagized the plantings and bought seeds and starters. We filled the beds with organic compost and soil and planted all our favorites: tomatoes, shallots, broccoli, peas, carrots (2 hierloom varieties), brussel spouts, potatoes, lettuce, mesculin mix, and bibb lettuce. Enough to pop down and get the fixings for dinner, but I'll still go to the farmers market for cukes and onions, and other fruits and veggies. I love to peruse the market, so I didn't want to plant myself out of that joy!

Now for some pics:
~Edwin, out of his winter home (the basement-ahem) holds a little basil~

~Raised bed of lettuce and greens.~



~Mia inspects Daddy's handiwork.~

~"I just love our little garden, Mama." -Mia~

Tom and I are so pleased. It is going to be a yummy, yummy summer indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so great!

Question- do raised beds make a difference?

Since I don't have a yard right now, I have a windowsill, which has little pots of basil growing! I do have big plans for Steve's yard though...I want to plan peonies in the front (my fave!) and then I'm not sure about the back...it doesn't get much sun...we'll see!

xoxo

AGD

auntie said...

I love your gardens sister. . .much inspiration for my own!!