Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Mimi!

Happy Birthday to my Mimi!

Today is my Mimi's 88th birthday...I don't mind saying she is 88 instead of 39 (which is what she would tell you!), because she doesn't use the computer! She is a marvel and inspiration in so many ways. Ever the lady, she never leaves the house without lipstick and used to wear killer heels! I atribute all my craftiness to her genes! She is an amazing seamstress, embroiders and crochets!

She told me the other day how she learned to crochet. As a young girl she went to a convent boarding school. While there, she bent a bobby-pin into a hook to make sweaters for her doll. Sometimes I cannot fathom the things she has seen and done. Born in manhattan in 1920, she was witnessed a lot of history and change.

My kids love her, and I cherish this time for them to spend together. I know she will not be around forever, and I hope that Mia & Benj can form memories of her to hold onto. Although, Mia & Benji can never attend "Camp Mimi," I know Mimi can whip up an awesome rootbeer float at her new place and hopefully even teach them to sew, like she did for me and Kaitlyn.

To my Mimi, happy birthday...we love you...

5 comments:

cheapartNH said...

Sláinte!

Kimberley said...

"Mimi, do you want wine?"
"Of course."

She's a hoot.
Kim

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Mimi! Thanks for including us in the festivities!

Kimberley said...

We were glad to have you there too...I'll never forget watching Mia & Cameron "help" Mimi blow out her candles. So sweet. Friends and family & blurring those lines, that is what it is all about.
Kim

Amanda said...

I wouldn't have it any other way (blurred lines, I mean). :)