Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Business of Being Born


If you are not of childbearing age, or if you are not involved in the birth process (and who isn't really?) this may not interest you. The documentary The Business of Being Born is phenomenal! I got in on NetFlix as soon as I could and watched it with some Mommy friends--we loved it and couldn't stop talking about it and our own birth experiences. The film really talks a lot about the correlation between the fall of midwives and the rise of c-sections. The film also deals with the spiraling effects of interventions in the hospital environment. As a midwife convert with Benji I can tell you--there is a world of difference in the care received by a midwife and by an OB. Now I know some people have had just fine birth experiences with OBs...and that's great--every woman in entitled to birth her own way--and feel satisfied at the end. But, giving birth is a life altering event--and I will try to persuade every woman in my life to have a midwife present. A doula is awesome too...I swear Janice (my doula) saved me from an unecessary c-section with Mia. Check out this link for more info: www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com Now, if I could only tackle the maternity leave situation in this country...or maybe I'll just move to Sweden...

2 comments:

BirthLady said...

Aww, thanks for the "shout out" Kim. I don't want to get on a rant here, but indeed Midwifery Care should be the norm. Like Marsden Wagner MD says, Obstetricians are wonderful for high risk pregnancies. The countries that have the best maternal/fetal outcomes (I think the US is ranked 49th) have midwives attending their births and an Obstetrician isn't in the room. For those Moms who are high risk, thank the Good Lord we have these highly trained "surgeons" to take proper care of them. Statistics show midwifery care and even homebirth midwifery care is not only as safe as hospital birth, but sometimes safer. The germs you have at home are yours, you are immune to them. The germs in hospitals are scarey. Okay, so I said I wasn't going to rant and there I go. Thanks Kim for getting the word out about nursing in public and midwifery care!!

Jan

Jennifer said...

I've gotta check this movie out, though I'm thinking it will be a scenario of preaching to the proverbial choir. Hooray for midwives!!!