Monday, December 7, 2009

Saint Nicholas

The children left out their shoes and a carrot (for St. Nicholas' horse) in the hopes that Saint Nicholas would leave a treat or two...
Well, St. Nick is pretty good...
Mia squealed with delight and claimed she's "always wanted an orange!" ha! She has had plenty but was so excited! I immediately read Sugar Snow...it is a great series I just found, picture books of the Little House series. This is perfect for Mia, I read to her at night from Little House in the Big Woods and I think the illustrations are charming. These are new illustrations inspired by (and with the permission of) Garth Williams. I think we will try to find more of the series!

Ben, who just received his first skis (via the hand-me-down process!), got Ollie's Ski Trip. I just love love love Elsa Beskow. Her illustrations are enchanting and her stories are so fun and imaginative. Mia & Benji promptly asked to go out & look for King Winter himself...Tom obliged...the first snow fall is so exciting.
For a special breakfast treat, I made Honey Cake from The Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book...which is another fantastic resource for fun, low-sugar, treats. I will be making the Santa Lucia buns from this book next sunday!

I am busy busy busy making all the gifts for Christmas...but it is so pleasurable, I really like being industrious in my home, knitting, cooking, canning and singing along to Norah Jones on Pandora....(I know I am late to the game, but Pandora is my new bff!)

Off to strain the herbes de provence wine jelly....

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sounds delightful! Honey cake!! Yum!