Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A girl and her doll...

I bet you think I'm talking about Mia huh? Well, this story starts with me, in 1987. A few months before my eigth birthday I saw Kirsten, the American girl of swedish decent. I was absolutely in love with her. However, she was expensive--$80! By 1987 standards that is very expensive. I started to save my money, by my birthday I had $40 saved and was still enamored by Kirsten. After my birthday party, when all the guests had left, my parents pulled out one more box to open! I saw the long box and started to cry....I knew Kirsten was in there! I proceeded to love her and collect all her clothes and accessories long after my friends traded dolls for teen bop magazines. (I can admit that now!) I saved carefully all her things in a trunk that my grandfather made for Kirsten and me.

Flash forward 21 years, Mia discovers Kirsten at my parent's house and falls in love with her. Due to her advancing years, Kirsten needed a stay at the American Girl Doll Hospital (I'm serious--it exists), she went in for a full cleaning and a lazy-eye correction! Mia and Grammie lovingly wrapped her up and sent her to the hospital in Wisconsin...and she arrived home yesterday. Mia is so happy to have her "Kristen" back, and is busy planning an elaborate "welcome home" party.

For me, I am so happy to see my daughter love Kirsten as I did. It feels quite special indeed.

Mia anxiously opens the box...
The first welcome home hug...Kirsten arrived in a hospital gown, with a hospital bracelet, a get well soon balloon and a certificate of good health! Those American Girl people really get how much a child can love a doll...
Re-united and it feels so good!

6 comments:

Christa said...

Oh that is such a sweet story!

BirthLady said...

Natalie has Abby.. the African American, American girl doll complete with cradle. She also has a Christmas tree with ornaments from American Girl. I heard about your little one through Poppy. He told me she was planning the coming home party a while ago. Very sweet. With me it was a Baby Beans Doll, you pull the cord and it says all sorts of things. Also and my favorite was my Curious George Monkey. When I spent alot of time in the hospital as a child, I had Curious George books and a Curious George Stuffed Animal. memories!! Priceless... A stay at the American Girl Hospital.. I'm sure expensive. :)

Amanda said...

I'm so glad she's home in time for Christmas and I hope she liked her hat!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kim! I can still picture all of her little accessories lined up against your parent's living room wall...and I seem to remember a little girl with braids in her hair and prarie boots that held an uncanny resemblance to Kirsten! How fun for you both!
Hannah

Kimberley said...

Thanks ladies! It is wonderful to watch Mia grow up...very special to see her take interest in things I love too.
K

The Coffey Family said...

Those are great dolls, How awesome that you were able to send her to the doll hospital to get her all fixed up!