
Yum...fresh, local steaming corn...nothing tastes like summer like corn-on-the-cob. It is NH Eat Local week! How are you participating? We are so lucky this time of year to have a veritable cornicopia of fresh and local veggies available. There are so many venues to obtain them too...check out your local farmer's market, farmstand, small grocery shop or join a CSA like Mom did which we split (thanks Mom)! This week we even have had local cheese & ice cream(yum--sandwich creamery!!!) and milk (sherman farms) in addition to the great CSA produce, I supplemented with some Beans & Greens corn & cukes. Suggested reading:
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and the book the changed my life about 3 years ago (and my family's) in terms of food,
The Ethical Gourmet by Jay Weinstein. Both offer great food for thought.
Not everything we eat can always be local, but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to make a difference. For example, I love coffee. Coffee does not grow in NH. However, I get coffee from Sunflower's Natural Foods in Laconia, that is roasted in Canterbury, NH! Wild right! With a little investigation, you can make an ethical choice with your food dollar. I hope that we are all enjoying nature's bounty this summer...even during a rain spell.
No comments:
Post a Comment